Historic Granbury Opera House

Today Granbury Theatre Company performs their full season of shows to sold out audiences. For show schedule and tickets head over to www.granburytheatrecompany.org or call the box office 817-579-0952

The most elaborate building on the Historic Square is the Granbury Opera House. This two-story Italianate theater was built is 1886. As you look up, see the pressed tin cornice and pediment which crowns the Opera House and the ornate hood molds over the upper windows. Known for many years as Kerr’s Opera House, the second-floor featured traveling vaudeville acts, singers, and melodramas while the lower floor was used by many different businesses over the years, including a saloon and a saddle and harness shop. The Opera House and the businesses below shut down in 1911 and remained so until a community wide effort in the early 1970s, restored the building. The Opera House was reopened in 1975 by the Granbury Opera Association. The theatre at that time used the entire first and second floors and provided entertaining musicals and original productions until 2010. The Opera House then went dark. In 2011 renovation started again and in December 2013 the Opera House turned on its lights and continues to provide entertainment for local and visiting audiences.

_© Copyright 2011 HGMA  |   website design by Klemer Creative